As a diabetic, I know firsthand the how important it is that we protect and expand access to health care for all Americans. Affordable, accessible healthcare is a fundamental right, and should never be a privilege. Medical conditions, cancer, and car accidents do not discriminate based on age, gender, race, or economic status – this is an issue that affects us all. Too many Floridians are forced to rely on emergency rooms for their health care.
In Congress, I will fight to:
- Protect Pre-Existing Conditions: Ten years ago, I was denied health insurance because of a pre-existing condition. Today, like millions of Americans, I depend on the current pre-existing condition protections to make sure I can keep my health care. But Washington Republicans have repeatedly tried to repeal these protections. In Congress, I am committed to working across the aisle to:
- continue ongoing protections for pre-existing conditions
- lower costs for insurance for older Americans
- fight against plans that would throw 70,000 citizens in this district alone off their plans
- Expand Medicaid to Cover More Floridians: I would work with our state officials to expand Medicaid so that federal funding can be used to cover health care for the 800,000 Floridians who have no health insurance. We must also fight to protect from cuts to Medicare and Medicaid.
- Lower Premiums and Prescription Drug Costs: Floridians face challenges to access to affordable prescription drugs. The federal government should have more authority to negotiate the cost of prescription drugs so every American can afford the medicines they need.
- Stem the Opioid Crisis: There were more than 5,700 opioid-related deaths in Florida in 2016, a spike of 35 percent from the previous year. A comprehensive approach is needed to stop this crisis, including expanding preventative measures to stop addiction, giving law enforcement the tools they need, and cracking down on opioid manufacturers. I will also work to bring more resources to our district for drug courts, addiction treatment centers, and other programs shown to save lives.
- Protect Women’s Healthcare: I also support a woman’s right to choose and will fight to protect women’s ability to make their own health care choices. In Congress, I’ll stand and fight on the side of all women in this country to ensure their right to quality, affordable reproductive health care.
- Support our Veterans: I will always honor the sacrifice made by our service members by making sure our veterans receive the benefits they have earned in a timely manner, supporting modernization of the VA health care system, and working to ease the transition to civilian life.